“Practical” solar car hits the road in Sydney
Vehicles play an important part in our life, without them we are unable to accomplish any task on time. With passing time varieties of vehicles hit the market and the most commonly used vehicle by the public is car. About 70 percent of the population uses car for its domestic purposes or some other purposes. These vehicles are also the source of causing air pollution and increased greenhouse effect as they release large amount of carbon dioxide and other gases.
In order to compensate these drawbacks of the normal cars, solar cars have been introduced in the market since twenty years and as its name they get power from the solar energy for its working. They are still not so popular in the public but in the future they have the chance to gain popularity as the prices of petrol and diesel are rising day by day. Imagine you take a solar car to work at a short distance from home and Then Park it in sunlight and it get charged on itself and then you can use it again for going back home. How wonderful that will be? It seems like renewable source which you can use again and again without doing any expenses.
Now talking about solar cars, a variety of solar cars are available in the markets such as racing cars, golf carts or as regular cars.
Solar racing cars are expensive and they usually consist of sitting for one or two people. The main reason behind the excessive cost is the use of large number of solar panels in the manufacturing of solar car. They are installed so as to provide power to the car. The racing cars also possess titanium composites, carbon fiber and fiber glass which are mainly used in the manufacturing of fighter jets. They are also expensive due to the hand works being done and they are also made on orders.
Talking about the working of solar powered cars, they work efficiently in the presence of sunlight and most of the cars also possess battery backup. The produced electricity is used for running the car and if it is not consumed then it get stored in the batteries for later use or when the weather is cloudy. The batteries mainly consist of nickel or lithium or lead also. The wheels are usually three in solar cars and for reducing friction wheels are generally made narrow.
Advantages of solar cars:
- They are able to utilize their full power unlike cars relying upon petrol or diesel.
- They do not require any maintenance.
- They do not cause air pollution.
- They do not require any expenses for running as they do not need any fuel for running.
- The batteries can be used for charging electric or hybrid cars also.
Disadvantages of solar cars:
- They do not possess same power or speed just like regular cars.
- They can run only for limited distance, if they do not get exposed to sunlight anymore.
- They are expensive and can cost you nearly $200,000 or more.
- In the rainy season they can’t get charged so they seem to be non working in these cases due to which some peoples do not prefer solar cars.
Related Articles SolarPowerBrisbaneHQ.com.au
Read full story »